Brief History

Brief History

  • 1947 : The UE Library was organized in April 1947. It was located at the then Philippine College of Commerce and Business Administration (PCCBA) Building on R. Papa Street. The first books acquired were mostly on accounting, business and economics, which were purchased largely from American bookstores.

  • 1948 : The Library was transferred to the newly constructed Dalupan Hall, now Santiago F. de la Cruz Building at C.M. Recto Avenue.

  • 1950 : The Main Library was moved to the Dental Library Building, the present College of Computer Studies and Systems (CCSS) Bldg. where it occupied the entire third floor and the extension which was built in 1961. As new programs were introduced, branch libraries were also established.

  • 1971 : The Main Library was relocated to the Library-Engineering Building (formerly Library-Museum Bldg.), occupying the second and third floors.

  • 1986 : The Audiovisual Department came under the direction of the Department of Libraries.

  • 1988 : The Dental library was transfered from Santa Mesa Campus to the 3rd floor of the College of Dentistry Bldg., Gastambide, Manila Campus.

  • 1994 : The University Archives was established.

  • 1996 : The Main Library was converted into a modern and first class facility located on the 2nd , 3rd and 4th floors of the P.O. Domingo Center for Information Technology (POD CIT) Building (formerly Library-Engineering Bldg.).

  • 2003 : The Main Library in Caloocan campus, named into Benjamin G. Chua Jr. Library, was moved from 2nd floor Administration Building into the new Tan Yan Kee Bldg.

  • 2006 : The Elementary High School Department Library was established in June 2006 at Caloocan.

  • 2011 : Outstanding Academic and Research Library Awardee

  • 2012 : The Caloocan Elementary High School Department Library was transferred at the new Lucio C. Tan Building on
    September 25

  • 2013 : An Information Commons Section was created from the Multimedia Section at the 4th floor of the POD-CIT Bldg

  • 2014 : The Dental Library was transfered to the Dr. Lucio C. Tan Bldg., UE Manila Annex


LIBRARY ADMINISTRATORS THROUGH THE YEARS
2010 - Present   : Loreto T. Garcia, Director of Libraries

2002 - 2010        : Norma I. Jhocson, Director of Libraries

1985 - 2002        : Sarah C. de Jesus, Director of Libraries

1959 - 1985         : Narcisa F. Tioco, Chief Librarian

1948 - 1957         : Victoria F. Ahrensdorf, Chief Librarian

1947                       : Antonino Lazo, the first Librarian