The ORC was an offshoot of the reorganization of the UE Research and Development Center (UERDC) which was created on March 31, 1995 . Its formation arose from the need for studies that will serve as basis for institutional policy formulation/policy evaluation. Among its functions are:
- to coordinate and keep up-to-date information of the different colleges and their respective faculty members regarding completed, ongoing and planned research studies;
- to serve as a clearing office for UE research studies/research reports and other related matters;
- to extend technical assistance to ongoing and planned research studies;
- to organize in-house Research Training Institutes for the faculty and academic personnel;
- to undertake institutional policy studies;
- to publish a University Research Bulletin featuring completed and ongoing college/faculty researches; and
- to establish collaborative relationships with the UE Foundation for Research and Advanced Studies, Inc. (UE-FRASI) and other research groups and institutions.