The College of Education was founded in 1949 as a companion unit of the Philippine College of Commerce and Business Administration(PCCBA). In 1950, it was granted government recognition. Starting with the curriculum leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Commercial Education , it subsequently offered the four-year course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Education (BSED) with majors in English, General Science, History, Biology, Physics, Mathematics, Home Economics, Library Science, Physical Education and Pilipino.
The College also had a subsidiary, the Junior Normal College, which, at the start, offered a two-year course for students interested in teaching the elementary grades.
In 1952, the two-year course was abolished and replaced by a four-year course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education. The Bachelor of Science in Commercial Education was abolished in 1971 and was replaced by the Bachelor of Science in Secretarial Education.
In 1974, the College offered the Bachelor of Science in Food and Nutrition to meet the increasing demand for community nutritionists and dietitians. The College made curricular revisions for the Bachelor of Science in Education and the Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education to meet the goals for national development.
In 1976, the College of Education offered the Bachelor of Science in Foods Administration to respond to the increasing demand for hotel and restaurant management personnel in the country. However, starting school year 1981-1982, this curriculum was gradually phased out, together with the Bachelor of Science in Food and Nutrition curriculum. The Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics replaced the BS Food and Nutrition curriculum within SY 1981-82 by virtue of Ministry od Education, Culture and Sports(MECS) memorandum No. 16, s. 1981, dated March 16, 1981.
SY 1981-82 also saw the College of Education get involved in the pilot testing of a new education curriculum, the Integrated Teacher Education Program (ITEP), in accord with the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports (MECS) Memorandum No. 145, s. 1980 dated July 3, 1980, and Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports (MECS) Memorandum, no. 218, s. 1980 dated November 1980. The ITEP curriculum was developed to prepare prospective teachers for teaching in both elementary and secondary levels. The pilot testing was launched in some selected schools throughout the country, including the UE College of Education. The effectiveness of the curriculum in these pilot classes became part of the basis for the final adoption of the Bachelor of Science in Education-Integrated Teacher Education Program (BSED-ITEP) curriculum.
In 1992 and 1998, the Certificate of Accreditation for Level II status was awarded to the College. It is currently moving towards re-accreditation in SY 2008-2009.
From 1998 to 2000, the UE College of Education was one among the country’s leading institutions to serve as a training center for Project RISE (Rescue Initiatives for Science Education), a crash training program aimed to increase the competence of math and science teachers all over the country.
The years 2000-2003, on the other hand, were characterized by extensive curricular reforms to modernize College-wide instruction. New majors, such as Early Childhood Education, Guidance and Counseling, and Computer Education were introduced.
The College maintains the Elementary and Secondary Laboratory Schools, in which an intensive apprenticeship program for pre-service teachers is offered to give student teachers opportunities to develop teaching skills indispensable to the profession. The Laboratory Schools are run by selected supervising teachers headed by a Principal.
The apprenticeship extends to an additional semester in the public school system. Linkages with several elementary and secondary public schools in Manila are forged every semester. The student teachers further hone their teaching skills under the supervision of the regular public school teachers.
Faculty members are selected on the basis of their academic preparation, professional experience and competence in their subject specialization. Through a myriad of in-service education and professional development programs, the faculty members keep abreast with the current issues and trends in education.
The College of Education is dedicated to undergraduate scholarship, research, academic and cultural excellence, and community service to enrich university life for all its students. Socio-civic and cultural activities are a regular part of the co-curricular fare designed for a holistic approach to teaching and learning.
The College has changed hands nine times since 1949: Dr. Gabriel R. Mañalac was the Dean from 1949 to 1960; Dean Amparo S. Lardizabal from 1960 to 1973; Dean Alicia S. Bustos from 1973 to 1987; Dean Amelita A. Cruz from April 1987 to 1990; and Dean Rosalinda A. San Mateo from October 1990 to 1996 and Dean Leticia P. Cortes, from May 1998 to July 2005. The College was under Dean Justina M. Evangelista from July 2005 until April 2008. Since then Rosalina Young took over the college and after her brief stint, Evelina M. Vicencio was appointed as the new Dean. The Laboratory Schools were fused effective SY 1986-1987, when Mrs. Romula D. Mallilin retired as Principal of the Elementary Laboratory School. In 1996, Mrs. Esmyrna F. Estacio was appointed Principal until May 30, 2004. Mrs. Nieva J. Discipulo, formerly the College Secretary of the Graduate School, is the present Principal.