College of Law - History

HISTORY

The University of the East, having taken its place in the front rank of the country's educational institutions, opened its College of Law in July 1950, by initially offering first year subjects only.

Dr. Francisco T. Dalupan, Sr., then the University president, acted temporarily as the first dean of the College. Justice Roman Ozaeta, a former senior Associate Justice of the Supreme Court and Secretary of Justice under Presidents Manuel A. Roxas and Elpidio M. Quirino, became its first permanent dean, effective school year 1951-52. He was succeeded by Prof. Ruperto G. Martin in 1956. Prof. Rodolfo Palma, who later became dean emeritus of the College, was appointed dean on June 1, 1966 -- when Dean Martin was elevated to the Court of Appeals as Associate Justice. When Dean Palma retired on March 31, 1984, he was succeeded by Prof. Agustin O. Benitez, who served as dean until October, 1986. Dean Benitez had also served as member of the Board of Trustees of the University until his death in 2003. He was succeeded by Prof. Celedonio E. Tiongson, who served as dean until the appointment of Prof. Dante O. Tinga on April 1, 1989. Dean Tinga was succeeded by former Justice Undersecretary Artemio G. Tuquero on May 1, 1993, who was subsequently appointed Associate Justice of the Court of Appeals and later Secretary of Justice.

Atty. Carlos M. Ortega, an authority on Criminal and Remedial Laws, took over as dean on May 2, 1996. Dean Ortega's term, which was extended up to SY 2004, was, however, cut short by his promotion to the position of Vice-President for Academic Affairs, effective July 1, 2000. The position vacated by VP Ortega was filled by Atty. Amado D. Valdez until he was appointed Government Corporate Counsel in April, 2001. During Dean Valdez term, the College co-sponsored the Fourth Supreme Court Centenary.

Lecture on Life Technology and the Rule of Law on the occasion of the Supreme Court Centenary celebration. To improve the quality of law graduates, he also introduced the "mock bar" examinations resulting in the good performance of graduates in the Bar examinations in the succeeding years. Justice Reynaldo L. Suarez, former Senior Deputy Court Administrator of the Supreme Court, assumed the deanship on May 16, 2001. Upon the expiration of the term of Dean Suarez, former Assemblyman of Agusan del Norte and Minister of State for Local Governments (1979-1984), Antonio R. Tupaz, was appointed dean by the Board of Trustees - for a term of one (1) year starting May 21, 2004. He was succeeded by Justice Amado D. Valdez on May 23, 2005.

Contact Details

College of Law: (632) 735-54-71 loc 323 - 324
Direct Line: (632) 735-69-78